We were in dialogue with the owners of probably the best Navigation tools, aids and products for hill walkers, Mountaineers and Mountain Rescue personal, that company is Shaven Raspberry.
This fantastic little business is Owned and Managed by a couple of great guys that truly know their stuff:
Lyle Brotherton – Author of the Ultimate Navigation Manual and instructor to Global Search & Rescue teams and more locally, Advanced Navigation instructor to Mountain Rescue teams throughout the UK
Scott Amos – With over 20 years experience in Scottish Mountain Rescue, he was previously the training office for Tweed Valley Mountain Rescue Team, along with responsibilities for teaching Navigation to Mountain Rescue, Coast guard and Search and Rescue teams across the UK.
We thought we would share their observations of Positive outdoor 365, following an update to them on our first year in operation.
We hope this helps you to understand our ‘Why’
A refreshing and new approach to well-being in the great outdoors with the Boys!
A couple of great guys we know, Martin and his brother-in-Law, Chris, are celebrating their first very successful year, having set up the brilliant www.positiveoutdoor365.com – a place where they share their wealth of first hand, practical knowledge on how and where to safely enjoy the great outdoors.
They have shed loads of knowledge and experience, from the military, teaching navigation to completing Project 944 (9 highest Mountains in the UK in 4 days for 4 charities)
From the best kit to wear, what to carry in your rucksack, through to helping you be confident in navigation, these boys will help keep you safe and well to enjoy the great outdoors on every occasion that you venture out of your front door.
Here’s an extract from their Blog detailing the huge amount of experience and competence these guys possess when it comes to being outdoors in the hills and Mountains.
Collectively we have over 70+ years of Navigational experience which helps when trailing new kit, exploring new routes, or even getting ‘back to basics’ with Navigational tools and techniques.
Our Breadth of experience includes:
- Over 9 years of Military Navigational expertise, including Airborne forces and Completion of the French Commando course (3 days Escape and Evasion).
- Over 10 years of Assessment within the Northwest of England as a Duke of Edinburgh Assessor through all elements of the DoE awards scheme. (Bronze, Silver & Gold).
- Rescue Emergency Care Certified Level 2 – Snowdonia First Aid
- ML Trained – Plas y brenin
- Yorkshire 3 Peaks achiever.
- Sweden canoe long-distance adventure.
- All round adventures, Climbing, canyoning, potholing, abseiling, kayaking.
- Scotland – Winter Outdoors survival training.
- Wales black mountains and Brecon beacons survival training.
- Instructor – Ultimate Navigation School (based on the syllabus of the Ultimate Navigation Manual)
- Trained the Ordnance Survey Champions at Foundation, Intermediate, and Advanced level navigation.
- Trained Public and Private clients including Lowland Search and rescue team and Aspiring Mountain Rescue candidates on both a team and 121 basis.
- Neebosh qualified ‘Competent person’ in all aspects of HSE. Enabling safe risk assessment and activities in workplace/external environments.
- QualSafe Certified ‘First Aid in the workplace’ – 3 Years
- ERYRI Gold Level Ambassador – 2021-2022 (Snowdonia)
- Outdoor space for wellbeing – Private Clients
- Peak District – Aircraft wreck hunting/guiding
- 80 to 100KM long-distance walking – Netherlands and Belgium.
We have operated externally in the following locations:
- England, Scotland & Wales
- The Netherlands
- Nepal – Chulu East & Thorong La pass
- Tatras Mountains – Slovakia
- The Czech Republic
- Belgium Ardennes
- Germany – Black Mountains
- France – Trier
Preferred areas of outdoors activity:
- The Peak District
- The Lake District
- Ireland, both North, and South are on the bucket list!